A ‘stroke’ is a disease which occurs when the supply of blood to the brain is blocked or interrupted. In other words, a blood vessel present within the brain ruptures causing serious damage to the blood tissue. It is an illness which requires immediate medical emergency and adequate treatment should be sought at the earliest. Stroke is considered as the fifth main cause of death in the United States. It is estimated that about eight lakh people are affected by strokes within every forty seconds each year. Some of the common types of strokes are:
Transient ischemic strokes which is sometimes referred to as ‘mini-strokes’.
A stroke often occurs without any specific time. We can’t exactly predict when it strikes. Some of the major symptoms of stroke are as follows
- Confusions such as experiencing trouble while speaking
- Severe headache
- Vomiting sensation
- Numbness and inability to move certain parts of the body like face, arms or legs.
A stroke is influenced by numerous factors. Some of them are discussed below:
- Risk factors which you cannot control
Age: – When an individual gets older, there are higher chances of strokes.
Stroke is commonly found among men.
- Diseases like diabetes and transient ischemic attack.
- High blood pressure is believed to be one of the primary causes for a stroke. It could lead to rupture of blood vessel walls and ultimately results in a stroke.
- Stroke is also influenced by high cholesterol.
- Smoking also increases the risk of having a stroke. It could lead to an increase in blood pressure and reduce the supply of oxygen in the blood.
- Obesity or over-weight increases the risk of stroke. Accumulation of body fat could lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol and Type Two Diabetes.
- Intake of alcohol : –
Excess intake of alcohol increases the risk of stroke.
- Sedentary lifestyle : –
Lack of healthy diet and exercise may lead to stroke. It is highly recommended to take adequate exercise and at nutritious foods which could mitigate the chances of having a stroke.
- Lose your weight : –
It is highly recommended to take regular exercise and indulge in aerobic activities to lower your weight.
- Cut down the intake of alcohol by drinking five ounces of wine or 12 ounces of beer per day.
- Avoid foods which are rich in sodium content. It could contribute to diseases like diabetes and kidney diseases.
- Consume healthy and nutritious diets such as whole grain, high-fiber foods and fish.
- It is highly recommended to avoid low-fat dairy products
If all the above mentioned tips are taken into consideration, you can reduce the risk of stroke to a great extent.