Parkinson’s disease (PD) is one of the deadliest diseases which has no appropriate cure in this world. But, the symptoms and effects caused by the disease can be controlled with proper medications and a healthy lifestyle, that will drastically increase the lifespan of Parkinson’s affected people.
Parkinson’s disease is a generative movement disorder that affects the motor system of the body. People with PD experience a sudden inconvenience with regular body movement during the advent of this disease. Then it gradually affects all movement of the body by inhibiting the mobility of hands, legs, and joints. People with PD struggle with sudden tremors, stammered speech, lack of coordination, difficulties in chewing and swallowing food, depression, hallucinations etc.,
Rather numerous medical therapies for Parkinson’s disease, Yoga therapy proves as the most effective methods for the people with PD to keep their problems at bay. People with PD should lead a most disciplined and controlled life in order not to live longer and that’s what the yoga preaches, discipline and control. Practicing yoga will drastically improve the health conditions and it will prevent the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease to step further.
- Yoga brings self-confidence, strength, integrity, and calmness in the minds of the people, that will boost the self-confidence of the Parkinson’s people
- Yoga involves flexibility. It improves the spine, shoulder, hips and joint actions of the body which eases the movement in those areas and the limbs that are connecting those areas.
- Yoga requires stability. Tremors can be controlled, sometimes completely eradicated with continuous and regular practice of yoga
- One of a menacing problem caused by the Parkinson’s disease is lack of balance and coordination. People with PD suffer a lot due to their instability during every occasion. There are certain ‘Asana’s in yoga that will boost the balance of the body and which will eventually lead to the cure of stability complications
- Exercising with a regular and periodic movement of the body increases the mobility of the motor senses. Parkinson’s patients can move their hands and legs freely without senses of tremors and glitches, also can munch their food properly
- Practicing yoga regularly will raise the overall strength of the body. Standing in various positions while performing yoga will integrate the bodily functions and improves the muscular tenacity
- Yoga not only heals physically but also mentally. Meditations will calm the mind and clear it from all stress and depression. People with PD should meditate every day to stay away from depression caused by the disease. It also helps the patient to sleep soundly every night and regulates the REM cycle properly
There are comfortable techniques and asanas in yoga that opens the channel for the people with PD to take control of the affected areas in their body. Yoga’s command over the Parkinson’s disease is scientifically approved and widely appreciated by the doctors and therapists all over the world.
These are the most important asanas that the people with PD should follow and practice every day
- Virabhadrasana, it will help to regain control of the legs and increase strength and stability of the entire body
- Jathra Parivarthasana, it involves rotating of the hip which relieves tension all over the body and relaxes the muscles. It gives peace to the mind and body; makes them work in harmony
- Tadasana, it involves standing straight with stretching the arms upward and breathing at regular intervals. The asana enables the motor controls of the body, relieve them from any perplexity and brings the balance
- Urdhva Hastasana, it is the continuation of Tadasana. It involves joining of the hand stretched upwards and breathing at regular intervals
- Uttanasana, it involves bending of the body and touching the floor. It increases the flexibility of the body which is very beneficial for the spine
- Sapta Baddha Konnasana, it releases the stiffness of the legs and thigh regions. The asana also brings relaxation and reduces stress
Hearing soothing music or chanting mantras or ohm while doing the asanas will generate more positive vibrations and fasten the process.